Monday, March 28, 2011

About Thyroid Cancer - The Effect of Dental X-Rays and Mammograms

The following note is from a very concerned visitor:

Recently Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing cancer in women, thyroid cancer. It was a very interesting program and he mentioned that the increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and mammograms. 


He demonstrated that on the apron the dentist puts on
you for your dental x-rays there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around your neck.
Many dentists don't bother to use it.


Also, there is something called a "thyroid guard" 
for use during mammogram


By coincidence, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I felt a little silly, but I asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer. I asked why it wasn't routinely used. Answer: "I don't know. You have to ask for it." Well, if I hadn't seen the show, how would I have known to ask?

I hope other visitors would pass this on to your friends and family.

1 comment:

  1. The only real treatment for thyroid disease, whether hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism or any other condition of thyroid gland, is cleansing of the system and adoption of a rational diet thereafter, combined with adequate rest and relaxation.


    ____________
    nutri-meds

    ReplyDelete